International Pronouns DayWednesday 20th of October 2021
On Wednesday 20th of October 2021, we will have a whole school awareness day at Villiers School to celebrate International Pronouns Day, which is recognised on the third Wednesday of October annually.
- We will have a whole school assembly where our Headmistress Ms. Storey, and form tutors, will discuss with students the use of pronouns, and share some resources.
- The school PTA will also be sharing resources with parents.
- Teachers will be taking the opportunity throughout the day, in all classes, to encourage conversations about gender-specific and gender-neutral pronouns, as well as misgendering.
- Our school EDI noticeboard also displays some more information about the use of pronouns.
- Staff and students will have the option to wear stickers, if they wish to share their pronouns.
Villiers School Statement
“We endorse International Pronouns Day, which seeks to make respecting, sharing, and educating about personal pronouns commonplace. Referring to people by the pronouns they determine for themselves is basic to human dignity. Being referred to by the wrong pronouns particularly affects transgender and gender nonconforming people.
Together, we can transform society to celebrate people’s multiple, intersecting identities. We encourage other schools, colleges, workplaces, and local organizations to hold educational and empowering events on International Pronouns Day.”Villiers School